Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Title supplied by cataloger. Though the origins of the company are somewhat obscure, it appears Western Pipe & Steel was organized in Los Angeles around 1907, and quickly began to expand its operations. In 1910 it established a factory in Taft, California for the supply of pipes and containers to the oil industry. In late 1945, Western Pipe & Steel Company was sold for a sum in excess of $6.2 million to Consolidated Steel of California; in 1948, it sold the assets for $8.3 million to Columbia Steel, a division of US Steel. Columbia Steel transferred the assets to a new division, Consolidated Western Steel, which was later merged into the parent company, U.S. Steel. Aerial view of Taft, showing neighborhoods and industrial areas. Consolidated Western Steel, a subsidiary of U.S. Steel, and other warehouses are present in the foreground (right). Unfortunately, none of the streets has been identified. Photograph dated March 5, 1955.
1 photographic print :b&w ;21 x 26 cm. Photographic prints