Architect A. C. Smith designed the first 1909 Mission Revival style Montebello High School, which was located on the Southwest corner of Whittier and Cedar. This building has been demolished and the streets reconfigured. Architects Jeffrey and Schafer designed the second 1925 Italian Renaissance style Montebello High School, located at 1600 West Whittier Boulevard, which featured a multicolored brick technique created specially for the project. The building was converted to a Junior High School when, in 1939, architect Theodore C. Kistner designed a new high school located at 2100 Cleveland Avenue. The Italianate Junior High was demolished in 1971 because it did not meet earthquake safety standards, and new buildings were built in the same location. Artist's drawing of the main building at Montebello High School, Jeffery & Schaefer, Architects.