Skip to main content

Image / San Fernando Valley and San Fernando Rey de Espan~a Mission

Have a question about this item?

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
San Fernando Valley and San Fernando Rey de Espan~a Mission
Alternative Title
Security Pacific National Bank Photo Collection
Date Created and/or Issued
1873
Contributing Institution
Los Angeles Public Library
Collection
Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection
Rights Information
Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Description
Title supplied by cataloger.; Originally from the Luther A. Ingersoll Historical Collection.
Founded by father Fermi´n Lasue´n on September 8, 1797 in Mission Hills, Mission San Fernando Rey de Espan~a (originally La Misio´n del Sen~or Fernando, Rey de Espan~a) is located on the former settlement of Encino Rancho. It was the seventeenth mission built in Alto California. It was built in a quadrangle, similar to other missions, in which the church makes up one corner. The Convento stands apart from the quadrangle; it took 13 years to construct and was completed in 1822. Most noted for its 21 Roman arches, it is the largest two-story adobe structure in California. The adobe chapel, which was built and blessed in December 1806, was damaged by the destructive earthquake of 1812 and a new church was completed in 1818. In 1845, Governor Pi´o Pico declared the Mission buildings for sale and in 1846, made Mission San Fernando Rey de Espan~a his headquarters. San Fernando's church became a working church again in 1923. In 1971, a large earthquake damaged the church again and it had to be completely rebuilt. The repairs were completed in 1974. The Convento Building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1988 - Building #88002147. And in 1999, the entire Mission San Fernando Rey de Espan~a was added to the National Register of Historic Places as well - Building #71001076. It has also been dedicated as California Historic Landmark #157. It continues to serve as a parish church.
This is the first known photograph of the San Fernando Valley as seen in 1873. View is looking to the north, showing San Fernando Rey de Espan~a Mission in the center of the photograph. Apart from the mission, the vast land appears to be completely deserted. Mission San Fernando Rey de Espan~a is located at 15151 San Fernando Mission Boulevard.
Type
Image
Format
1 photographic print :b&w ;8 x 8 cm. on sheet 18 x 13 cm.
Photographic prints
Identifier
00081924
Security Pacific National Bank Collection
Missions-San Fernando Rey de Espan~a.
CARL0000081423
http://173.196.26.125/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/112409
Subject
San Fernando, Rey de Espan~a (Mission : San Fernando, Calif.)
Missions, Spanish--California--Los Angeles
Adobe churches--California--Mission Hills (Los Angeles)
Panoramic views
Ingersoll, Luther A
Mission Hills (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Time Period
1871-1880

Explore related content on Calisphere: