Skip to main content

Image / Workmen begin job of restoring San Fernando Mission Convento Building

Have a question about this item?

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
Workmen begin job of restoring San Fernando Mission Convento Building
Alternative Title
Valley Times Photo Collection
Creator
Dean, Gordon
Contributor
This project was supported in whole or in part by the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act, administered in California by the State Librarian
Made accessible through a grant from the John Randolph Haynes and Dora Haynes Foundation and Photo Friends
Date Created and/or Issued
1963
Contributing Institution
Los Angeles Public Library
Collection
Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection
Rights Information
Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Description
Photograph was edited for publication purposes
Founded by father Fermi´n Lasue´n on September 8, 1797 in Mission Hills, Mission San Fernando Rey de Espan~a (originally La Misio~n del Sen~or Fernando, Rey de Espan~a) is located on the former settlement of Encino Rancho. It was the seventeenth mission built in Alto California. It was built in a quadrangle, similar to other missions, in which the church makes up one corner. The Convento stands apart from the quadrangle; it took 13 years to construct and was completed in 1822. Most noted for its 21 Roman arches, it is the largest two-story adobe structure in California. Now, the second floor is used for storage. The Convento Building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1988 - Building #88002147. And in 1999, the entire Mission San Fernando Rey de Espan~a was added to the National Register of Historic Places as well - Building #71001076. It has also been dedicated as California Historic Landmark #157. It continues to serve as a parish church.
Photograph caption dated October 4, 1963 reads, "The 141-year-old structure was built with strips of rawhide binding beams together."
Type
Image
Format
1 photographic print :b&w ;21 x 26 cm.
Photographic prints
Identifier
00119821
Valley Times Collection
HCNVT_d023_f22_i11
CARL0005382740
http://173.196.26.125/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/52792
Subject
San Fernando, Rey de Espan~a (Mission : San Fernando, Calif.)
Missions, Spanish--California--Los Angeles
Catholic churches--California--Mission Hills (Los Angeles)
Adobe churches--California--Mission Hills (Los Angeles)
Church buildings--California--Mission Hills (Los Angeles)
Arcades (Architecture)--California--Los Angeles
Men--California--Los Angeles
Roofing, Tile
Scaffolding
Construction workers--California--Los Angeles
Bells--California--Los Angeles
Trees--California--Los Angeles
Palms--California--Los Angeles
California Historical Landmarks
Mission Hills (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Valley Times Collection photographs

Explore related content on Calisphere: