This project was supported in whole or in part by the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act, administered in California by the State Librarian Made accessible through a grant from the John Randolph Haynes and Dora Haynes Foundation and Photo Friends
Authorized by War Department General Order 48 on August 24 1943, Van Nuys General Hospital opened in early 1944 to serve as both a general and debarkation hospital. It was soon renamed in honor of Brigadier General Henry Patrick Birmingham (1854-1932), Medical Corps, U.S. Army. Birmingham Veterans Administration Hospital operated until 1950 and was acquired by Los Angeles City Schools a year or two later for the token price of $1.00. In 1953, Birmingham High School opened as a 7-12 grade school. Part of the high school campus was used as an air defense missile battalion headquarters from April 1956 to November 1968. Photograph shows a little boy, accompanied by his mother, placing coins inside a tin can that a man holds on his lap. The unidentified man, possibly a war veteran, sits in a wheelchair and holds a sign that reads, 'Contribute Now - Veterans To Washington Fund - Help Save Birmingham Hospital.'" Photograph dated May 15, 1950.
1 photographic print :b&w ;21 x 26 cm. Photographic prints
Birmingham Veterans Administration Hospital (Los Angeles, Calif.) Veterans--United States Veterans--Services for--United States Veterans' hospitals--California--Van Nuys (Los Angeles) Hospitals--California--Van Nuys (Los Angeles) Wheelchairs--California--Los Angeles Fund raising--California--Los Angeles Women--California--Los Angeles Streets--California--Los Angeles Boys--California--Los Angeles Men--California--Los Angeles Group portraits Portrait photographs Valley Times Collection photographs