Materials in the Department of Archives and Special Collections may be subject to copyright. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, Loyola Marymount University does not claim ownership of the copyright of any materials in its collections. Please refer to: http://library.lmu.edu/generalinformation/departments/digitallibraryprogram/copyrightandreproductionpolicy/
Interior view of the Bath House, or Plunge, on the Long Beach Pike. There is an observation gallery along the wall above the pool. A sign at the top of a slide leading into the pool reads, "Warning: not responsible for accidents resulting from the use of this slide. L.B.B.H. & A. Co." Before 1866, most of what is now Long Beach was part of two ranchos: Los Cerritos and Los Alamitos. By the 1880s portions of Rancho Los Cerritos were sold, subdivided and developed under the name of Willmore City by William Willmore. By 1888, the population had voted to incorporate the city and rename it the City of Long Beach. By the early 20th century, Long Beach had become a popular seaside resort as well as a major shipping port. It was home to a boardwalk-style amusement known as the Pike, sometimes called "Walk of a Thousand Lights." Opened in 1902, the Bath House (later known as the Plunge) was one of the earliest attractions on the Pike. It featured 485 private dressing rooms and 500 bathing suits available for rental, a 60 x 120 foot heated salt-water pool for both sexes, a 40 x 8 foot pool for women only, and 22 hot salt-water baths. Publisher's serial number: A-70186; Series number: L-22 Date from publisher's serial number; "Hecht's Quality Cards" appears in a logo on the back.