Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Title supplied by cataloger. Former Mayor Cristobal Aguilar signed Pershing Square into being in 1866, at which time it was called La Plaza Abaja ("The Lower Plaza"). During the 1880s and '90s, it was known as 6th Street Park and Central Park, but was renamed Pershing Square in 1918 in honor of General John J. Pershing. The park was first renovated in 1911; in the 1950s a car garage was built beneath it; and in 1994, it was completely redesigned by architect Ricardo Legoretta and landscapist Laurie Olin and was rededicated on February 3, 1994. Pershing Square takes up the entire block and is bounded by 5th Street to the north, 6th Street to the south, Hill Street to the east, and Olive Street to the west. Aerial view of Pershing Square, looking north. Olive St. and the Biltmore Hotel are along the left, Hill St. is along the right; several buildings can be seen in the surrounding area. Photograph dated October 21, 2005.
1 photographic print:col. ;13 x 18 cm. Photographic prints
00104753 Gary Leonard Collection; Los Angeles Photographers Collection; GPC_b43_f4_i5 CARL0005198904 http://18.104.22.168/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/119405
Millennium Biltmore Hotel (Los Angeles, Calif.) Streets--California--Los Angeles Hotels--California--Los Angeles Parks--California--Los Angeles Office buildings--California--Los Angeles Parking lots--California--Los Angeles Skyscrapers--California--Los Angeles Trees--California--Los Angeles Palms--California--Los Angeles Downtown Los Angeles (Los Angeles, Calif.) Pershing Square (Los Angeles, Calif.) Panoramic views Cityscape photographs Gary Leonard Collection photographs