Title supplied by cataloger. In the mid-1800's, this area was a swampland. MacArthur Park, created in the 1880s under the name Westlake Park, was later renamed in honor of General Douglas MacArthur. By the 1890s, it was a vacation destination surrounded by luxury hotels; in the early part of the 20th Century, the area became known as the Champs Elysees of Los Angeles. MacArthur Park has been designated City of Los Angeles Historic Cultural Monument #100. This picture shows a man canoeing close to the shore of MacArthur Park's lake. Several others float across the lake farther back on the left, and in the background is a bridge barely visible between multitudes of trees.
1 photographic print :b&w ;21 x 26 cm. Photographic prints
Canoes and canoeing--California--Los Angeles Outdoor recreation--California--Los Angeles Parks--California--Los Angeles Lakes--California--Los Angeles Westlake (Los Angeles, Calif.) MacArthur Park (Los Angeles, Calif.)