Mission Nuestra Sen~ora Reina de los Angeles (Church of Our Lady the Queen of the Angels), was founded on September 4, 1781 by a group of Spanish settlers. The church was considered an asistencia ("sub-mission") of Mission San Gabriel Arca´ngel. Priests from Mission San Gabriel divided their time between the mission and the Asistencia site, but ultimately the installation was never granted mission status and the missionaries eventually abandoned the site. The surrounding area was named El Pueblo de Nuestra Sen~ora la Reina de los Angeles del Ri´o de Porciu´ncula ("The Town of Our Lady the Queen of the Angels on the River Porciu´ncula", which is the present-day City of Los Angeles). A chapel, La Iglesia de Nuestra Sen~ora Reina de los Angeles, was later erected and dedicated on December 8, 1822, and for years served as the sole Roman Catholic church in the Pueblo. It is the oldest church in the city of Los Angeles. The older part of the building is seen here with the three bells; the church was expanded and the plaza was added much later, which includes a hall and rectory. It was dedicated as California Historic Landmark #144. La Plaza Church, as seen by looking north from the Pico House on Main Street.
Plaza Church (Los Angeles, Calif.) Church buildings--California--Los Angeles Catholic churches--California--Los Angeles California Historical Landmarks Streets--California--Los Angeles Commercial buildings--California--Los Angeles Electric lines--Poles and towers Main Street (Los Angeles, Calif.) El Pueblo de Los Angeles Historical Monument (Los Angeles, Calif.) Downtown Los Angeles (Los Angeles, Calif.)