This image may be protected by Copyright Law (Title 17 U.S.C.). Copyright restrictions applying to the reproduction and use of this image are available from the Sacramento Public Library.
This 1945 photograph captures the northeast corner and bustling intersection of Seventh and J Streets. At the center of the photograph is the Log Cabin Tavern flanked to the right by a series of businesses, including the Spaghetti Palace, Samoville Furniture, David D. Haufmann and Company, H.W. Yee, Chiropractor, Herbert Yee, Dentist, the Sacramento Rubber Company, E.E. Noakes Typewriter Company, Dr. Krishna Chandra, Dentist, and F. Lagomarsino & Sons. On the left side of the photograph, and characterized by three Romanesque arches, is the Sacramento Chamber of Commerce, built in 1919. The Sacramento Bee is just to the left of it. Looming above J Street rooftops are the upper floors of the California Hotel. Three years later, in 1948, the streetcar rails, evident along J Street, would be removed in favor of a city bus system.