Title supplied by cataloger. Central Library, located at 630 W. 5th Street in downtown Los Angeles, was designed by architects Bertram G. Goodhue and Carlton M. Winslow. Constructed between 1922-1926, it was designed to mimic the architecture of ancient Egypt, complete with a tiled mosaic pyramid tower and many beautiful murals throughout. Tragic fires in 1986 destroyed part of the building along with 20 percent of the library's collection, prompting a closure for 6 years while restoration took place. The renovation was completed in 1993, and the library reopened on October 3, 1993. The Los Angeles Public Library is the third largest public library in the United States in terms of books and periodical holdings, boasting over 6 million volumes. It was added to the National Register of Historical Places in 1970 - Building #70000136. View 1: View shows several canopies which were set up on the parking lot of the Los Angeles Public Library by the numerous sponsors that ran a "Save the Books Walk-a-thon" donation drive, in order to help raise money for the library months after a devastating fire destroyed thousands of books. Numerous people can be seen walking around, some with numbered 'bibs' attached to their chests. A hot-air balloon with the "K-Earth 101" logo is visible behind the canopies on the left.
1 photographic print :b&w ;15 x 25 cm. on sheet 21 x 26 cm. Photographic prints
Central Library (Los Angeles, Calif.) Los Angeles Public Library KRTH (Radio station : Los Angeles, Calif.) Library fund raising--California--Los Angeles Walk-a-thons--California--Los Angeles Libraries--California--Los Angeles Goodhue, Bertram Grosvenor,1869-1924 Winslow, Carlton M Downtown Los Angeles (Los Angeles, Calif.)