Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Malibu was largely a zealously guarded ranch before 1926, when the owner subdivided a small amount of the property to form Malibu Colony. Soon after the state won a court case to push a new highway through to Oxnard. The road was formally dedicated as the 'Theodore Roosevelt Highway' when it was completed in 1929 and was generally known as the 'Roosevelt Highway' or 'Coast Highway' in the 1930s. It was designated as US 101A (Alternate) in 1936. State legislative action in 1964 changed many highway numbers in California, and US 101A became CA 1. In the same year, the state legislature offically named CA 1 'Pacific Coast Highway' in Orange, Los Angeles and Ventura Counties A long line of automobiles are parked alongside the road at the eastern edge of what is now Malibu, possibly just east of Topanga Beach. People can be seen enjoying the sun and partaking in beach recreation.
1 photograph :b&w Photographic prints
00068058 Security Pacific National Bank Collection Malibu-Streets-Pacific Coast Highway. CARL0000072391 http://126.96.36.199/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/107313
Roads--California--Malibu Automobiles--California--Malibu Beaches--California--Malibu Malibu (Calif.) California Highway 1 (Calif.)