Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by copyright beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Copyright restrictions also apply to digital representations of the original materials. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owner. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user. University of California Regents.
The Panama-California Exposition opened in 1915 in Balboa Park, San Diego, as a celebration of the opening and of the Panama Canal a few years prior. The Expo originally picked architect John Galen Howard to design the site, but due to his unavailability, Bertram Goodhue was chosen, along with local architect Irving Gill. Carleton Winslow was working in the Goodhue office in New York, and was called out to replace Gill in 1911.
The Spanish Colonial Revival and Churrigueresque style buildings designed by Goodhue and Winslow set the architectural style for the exposition. While some of the structures built for the Expo were designed to be temporary, others were to be permanent and are still in use today in Balboa Park.