This image may be protected by Copyright Law (Title 17 U.S.C.). Copyright restrictions applying to the reproduction and use of this image are available from the Sacramento Public Library.
Pictured in 1959 at its 2700 Marconi Avenue address is a Cardinal grocery store. Several period automobiles are parked in the foreground. The two-story market was part of the retro-styled Town and Country Village shopping center, built in 1949 by architect and developer Jere Strizec. The Cardinal grocery chain was founded in Sacramento in 1927, merging with, and becoming a division of, Lucky Foods in October 1956. Cardinal moved from the pictured location a year later.