This project was supported in whole or in part by the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act, administered in California by the State Librarian Made accessible through a grant from the John Randolph Haynes and Dora Haynes Foundation and Photo Friends
Photograph was edited for publication purposes; Title supplied by cataloger. The Sisters of Social Service is a Roman Catholic group started in the early 1920's by Hungarian nuns who witnessed the difficult living conditions resulting from the political and economic upheaval of WWI. The group sought to help those in need through the use of social organizations and advocacy. In 1926, Sr. Frederica Horvath brought the Sisters of Social Service ministry to Los Angeles. The group served the community by providing retreats, settlement houses, community centers, and by providing a voice for the marginalized. In 1930, the Social Service Auxiliary was formed and the Juniors of the Social Service Auxiliary was formed in the early 1950's. Both groups gave women opportunities to aid the Sisters and the group's mission on the local neighborhood level through participation in community service and charitable organizations. Photograph caption dated June 4, 1965 reads, "The three Valley provisionals of the Juniors of the Social Service Auxiliary are, from left, Mmes. Richard Olerick, Encino; Kenneth Allen, Sherman Oaks, and Paul Griffin, Northridge. They were welcomed at the group's annual meeting, where Mrs. David J. Halliburton was installed president for a second term."
1 photographic print :b&w ;21 x 26 cm. Photographic prints
Sisters of Social Service Juniors of the Social Service Auxiliary Associations, institutions, etc.--California--San Fernando Valley Women--California--San Fernando Valley Corsages--California--San Fernando Valley San Fernando Valley (Calif.) Group portraits Portrait photographs Valley Times Collection photographs