Title supplied by cataloger. The Title Insurance & Trust Company Building was designed by architects John and Donald Parkinson, and was built by the Scofield Engineering-Construction Company, in 1928. The ten-story, Zig-Zag Moderne style building, has an Art Deco marble lobby, which includes murals by Hugo Ballin. In 1979, architect-developer Ragnar C. Qvale acquired the building and converted it into the Design Center of Los Angeles. "The Queen of Spring Street", as it came to be known, was leased in 1981 to wholesale household furniture showrooms. In 1987, this historic building was once again leased, and became the temporary home of the Los Angeles Public Library, during the latter's reconstruction of its original building after its devastating fire. The Title Insurance & Trust Company Building was designated Historic Cultural Landmark #385. View 34: Numerous makeshift bookcases can be seen lined up along the aisles of the History & Genealogy Department, waiting to be transferred onto the metal bookshelves that are visible around the perimeter. Wooden chairs sit in a cluster behind the card catalog, which is adjacent to the reference desk. When this photograph was taken, the Los Angeles Public Library was housed in the Design Center of Los Angeles, formerly the Title Insurance & Trust Company Building, located at 433 S. Spring Street.; For a later view of this department (same angle), after being open to the public, see #00078407.
1 photographic print :b&w ;17 x 25 cm. on sheet 21 x 26 cm. Photographic prints
Los Angeles Public Library Title Insurance Building (Los Angeles, Calif.) Library buildings--California--Los Angeles Library shelving--California--Los Angeles Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monuments Art deco (Architecture)--California--Los Angeles Libraries--California--Los Angeles Downtown Los Angeles (Los Angeles, Calif.) Parkinson, Donald B.(Donald Berthold),1895-1945 Parkinson, John,1861-1935 Qvale, Ragnar C Scofield Engineering-Construction Company