This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License - http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/
Text: This is the vaulted type (gedige) image house built by King Parākramabāhu the Great (1153-1186 AD) and it is the largest image house in Sri Lanka. The two pylons at the entrances and the great standing Buddha image inside signify its scale. There is evidence that the interior and exterior walls had been adorned with paintings. The stucco relief sculpture on the exterior walls show South Indian influence. Obvious indicators are there that this image house had been renovated during the Dambadeniya period (13th century AD). The building with stone pillars in front of the image house may have been a pavilion for hevisi drummers. The ground plan clearly identifies the separate areas of the image house, including a circumambulatory passage and stairway within.