This image may be protected by Copyright Law (Title 17 U.S.C.). Copyright restrictions applying to the reproduction and use of this image are available from the Sacramento Public Library.
The Little Giant Market sits on the corner of Sixteenth and Y Street in this January 15, 1937, photograph. The business was built in July 1935, a time when two other neighborhood markets put down roots in Sacramento: the Arata Brothers at 3195 Folsom Boulevard and Park-N-Shop at 3300 Folsom Boulevard. The Little Giant was owned by Louis Norton of San Francisco. The store’s tenants (which provided the store’s bakery and delicatessen services) included the Cardinal Stores (a locally owned and operated chain of stores), the Beavis Meat Company, the Palmos Fruit Company, and Henderson’s.