Los Angeles Public Library > Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection > Placentia Grammar School, 1892

Image / Placentia Grammar School, 1892

Have a question about this item? Contact Owner

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
Placentia Grammar School, 1892
Alternative Title
Security Pacific National Bank Photo Collection
Creator
Armstrong, C.M
Date Created and/or Issued
1892
Contributing Institution
Los Angeles Public Library
Collection
Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection
Rights Information
Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Description
Placentia is a city in northern Orange County with an estimated population of 49,949 residents (as of the 2004 census). Its colorful history began in 1837 when Mexican Governor of what is now Southern California granted Rancho San Juan Cajo´n de Santa Ana to Juan Ontiveros. This land grant included the present cities of Placentia, Anaheim, Fullerton, La Habra, and Yorba Linda. In 1865 Placentia's first English-speaking pioneer, Daniel Kraemer, purchased 3,900 acres of the Rancho. Three years later, William McFadden and his wife Sarah Jane, purchased an additional 100 acres. Within a few years many more settlers arrived, and as the community slowly developed, schools and churches were erected. During this period the Cajo´n School District was formed, but in 1878 at the suggestion of Sarah Jane McFadden, the name was changed to the Placentia School District; "Placentia" is derived from a Spanish word meaning "pleasant place to live". Eventually, the name was applied to the entire town as well. In 1910, a farmer by the name of Albert Sumner Bradford was instrumental with putting Placentia on the map. Bradford, who owned a water company that supplied irrigation to the area's farms, was responsible for laying out the city streets, as well as for persuading the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway to re-route a track through the area, thus shortening the rail distance to Los Angeles. By 1926 the area had over 500 residents, and they all voted to incorporate. In 1960 population had reached 5,000, and within ten years, the population had skyrocketed to nearly 25,000 residents. In 1971, the city of Placentia was honored with the prestigious "All American City" Award. Some notable residents have included: Michael Chang, Chris Draft, Janet Evans, Phil Nevin, Rubi Marlene Sandoval, Dick Schofield, Julie Swail, and Brett Tomko (Athletes); James Cameron (Director); Daryl F. Mallett, Jill Nicolini, Audrina Partridge (Actors); and Agent Orange, D-Loc, Kottonmouth Kings, and Johnny Richter (Musicians).
Photograph shows the students and teachers at Placentia Grammar School in 1892. All of the boys wear jackets and cropped pants, and all of the girls wear either dresses, or calf-length skirts and jackets. A male teacher can be seen on the left side of the photograph, next to the American flag, and a female teacher can be seen on the right, next to the post.
Type
Image
Format
1 photographic print :b&w ;12 x 20 cm. on board 21 x 26 cm.
Photographic prints
Identifier
00080261
Security Pacific National Bank Collection
Placentia.
CARL0002878398
http://173.196.26.125/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/113235
Subject
Placentia Grammar School (Placentia, Calif.)
Elementary school teachers--California--Placentia
Elementary schools--California--Placentia
School buildings--California--Placentia
School children--California--Placentia
Placentia (Calif.)

Explore related content on Calisphere: