For commercial reproduction please contact the National Library of Scotland by referring to http://www.nls.uk/copyright . For access to the originals please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org National Library of Scotland National Library of Scotland, George IV Bridge, Edinburgh, EH1 1EW, Scotland, UK The National Library of Scotland license the use of this content under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 UK: Scotland License. email@example.com
"Manchewe upper falls, Livingstonia." Landscape showing a series of stepped waterfalls. Power for the Livingstonia mission was provided by hydroelectric turbines at the Manchewe falls, which was financed by John Campbell White. The electricity supplied helped run the workshops and training facilities. ❧ The Livingstonia mission station was established in 1891 by Dr Robert Laws (1851-1934) when he travelled north from Bandawe to set up a Training Institution and Industrial Mission. It was situated four miles from Lake Nyasa at Khondowe on a high plateau behind Mount Waller. As well as the school, hospital and accommodation, there were workshops for carpentry, printing and engineering, and mills, brickworks and a pottery. The Overtoun Institution was named after John Campbell White, Baron of Overtoun (1843-1908) who was a Convener of the Livingstonia Mission and a major financial contributor. The instruction that went on in Livingstonia was to provide Christian leaders for the expanding mission and to develop commercial activities and encourage trade.