This image may be protected by Copyright Law (Title 17 U.S.C.). Copyright restrictions applying to the reproduction and use of this image are available from the Sacramento Public Library.
Photographed in 1955 is Jackson's Furniture Store as it sat on the southwest corner of Fourteenth and K Streets. Jacksons was started in Oakland, California, in 1889 by Henry Jackson. Jackson and his business holds considerable distinction for providing free mattresses to those made homeless by the San Francisco Earthquake of 1906. The Sacramento store opened in 1946 and served the Capital City until 1957. The building's initial phase called for three floors, each measuring 80 by 160 feet. Two more stories were added shortly before the closure.