Title supplied by cataloger.; The lower right corner on the original photograph is missing. Central Library, located at 630 W. 5th Street in downtown Los Angeles, was designed by architects Bertram G. Goodhue and Carlton M. Winslow. Constructed between 1922-1926, it was designed to mimic the architecture of ancient Egypt, complete with a tiled mosaic pyramid tower and many beautiful murals throughout. Tragic fires in 1986 destroyed part of the building along with 20 percent of the library's collection, prompting a closure for 6 years while restoration took place. The renovation was completed in 1993, and the library reopened on October 3, 1993. The Los Angeles Public Library is the third largest public library in the United States in terms of books and periodical holdings, boasting over 6 million volumes. It was added to the National Register of Historical Places in 1970 - Building #70000136. Interior view of the History Department, at Los Angeles Central Library. A female librarian stands behind the reference desk helping a patron. Several more patrons occupy the tables throughout the department, which have tall lamps illuminating each area. Note the colorful ceiling beams and checkerboard floor. The History Department was previously known as the Reference Room - which was the largest reading room of the library. Today, there are over 200,000 volumes in the history book collection with especially strong collections in biography, travel, and wars involving the United States, the West, Native Americans, and Los Angeles area history.
1 photographic print :b&w ;26 x 21 cm. Photographic prints
Los Angeles Public Library.--History Dept Los Angeles Public Library Decoration and ornament, Architectural--California--Los Angeles History materials--California--Los Angeles Library buildings--California--Los Angeles Library users--California--Los Angeles Libraries--California--Los Angeles Libraries--United States--History Winslow, Carleton M.,1919- Goodhue, Bertram Grosvenor,1869-1924