Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Title supplied by cataloger. After land was donated by Charles Chapman in 1911, a small bungalow style church was built at this corner of Wilshire Boulevard and Normandie Avenue. In 1927 the original church was replaced by this Northern Italian Romanesque style structure with a 200-foot tower, designed by Robert H. Orr. On May 19, 1940, First Christian Church of Los Angeles merged with Wilshire Boulevard Christian Church to become Wilshire Christian Church, which is of the Disciples of Christ denomination. Located at 634 S. Normandie Avenue, the church is Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument #209. Exterior view of the Romanesque Revival style Wilshire Christian Church, as seen from the western side of Normandie Avenue. In the foreground, a construction crane is visible near the roof of the Wilshire Hyatt House, which later became the Radisson Wilshire Plaza Hotel.
1 photographic print :col. ;9 x 13 cm. Photographic prints
00076728 Security Pacific National Bank Collection L.A.-Churches-Wilshire Christian Church CARL0000079691 http://18.104.22.168/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/111348
Wilshire Christian Church (Los Angeles, Calif.) Church buildings--California--Los Angeles Romanesque revival (Architecture)--California--Los Angeles Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monuments Orr, Robert H