Photograph was edited for publication purposes. The $24,000,000 building, designed to last approximately 250 years, is an imposing two-block-long structure. U.S. Chief Justice Warren broke ground for the building on March 26, 1954, and was again on hand October 31, 1958 when the edifice was dedicated. Italian marble covers most of the walls and the 850,000 square feet of floor space, along with more than 50,000 cubic yards of concrete. The structure is actually two buildings, with a 6-inch space between the east side, which will be used by the superior courts, and the west side, which will be devoted to the municipal courts. The municipal court side, with its foundations at a higher level, rises three stories above the more massive superior court end. The structure was designed by a corporation of associate architects: J.E. Stanton, Paul Williams, Adrian Wilson and Austin, Field & Fry. The County Courthouse opened on January 5, 1959. Photograph caption dated April 10, 1964 reads "John D. Hahn points to 2-inch clearance under door of exhibit room." Hahn is down on one knee holding a ruler against the door. Signs on the door read "Danger, do not enter" and "For information regarding depositions and exhibits-go to room 112 on the 1st floor." County employees started noticing doors jamming, pencils rolling off of tables and cracks in the floor of the evidence room. Construction under and near the building was blamed for the damage.
1 photographic print :b&w ;36 x 28 cm. Photographic prints
Los Angeles County Courthouse (Los Angeles, Calif. : 1958-) Courthouses--California--Los Angeles Public buildings--California--Los Angeles Employees--California--Los Angeles Men--California--Los Angeles Interiors--California--Los Angeles Downtown Los Angeles (Los Angeles, Calif.) Los Angeles Herald-Examiner photographs Herald-Examiner Collection photographs Wilson, Adrian Williams, Paul R.,1894-1980 Stanton, J. E Austin, Field & Fry