Title supplied by cataloger. Central Library, located at 630 W. 5th Street in downtown Los Angeles, was designed by architects Bertram G. Goodhue and Carlton M. Winslow. Constructed between 1922-1926, it was designed to mimic the architecture of ancient Egypt, complete with a tiled mosaic pyramid tower and many beautiful murals throughout. Tragic fires in 1986 destroyed part of the building along with 20 percent of the library's collection, prompting a closure for 6 years while restoration took place. The renovation was completed in 1993, and the library reopened on October 3, 1993. The Los Angeles Public Library is the third largest public library in the United States in terms of books and periodical holdings, boasting over 6 million volumes. It was added to the National Register of Historical Places in 1970 - Building #70000136. Photograph shows a librarian sitting behind the "receiving" desk, as a patron returns his or her borrowed books. The "check-out" and "receiving" desks were located in the rotunda on the second floor.
1 photographic print :b&w ;11 x 14 cm. on sheet 13 x 17 cm. Photographic prints
Los Angeles Public Library Los Angeles Public Library.--Circulation Dept Library circulation and loans--California--Los Angeles Library employees--California--Los Angeles Library buildings--California--Los Angeles Libraries--California--Los Angeles Goodhue, Bertram Grosvenor,1869-1924 Winslow, Carleton M.,1919-