Located on 90 acre La Lomita Ranch where Mr. Bain raised Jerseys, the property also included 3 frame cottages, barn, milk shed and storage buildings. Mr. Bain was also president of the Southern Counties Gas Co. In 1939, Paramount Pictures bought the property for a new studio. The property was acquired by the Sisters of Notre Dame in 1945. On April 1, 1946, they opened an elementary school, Notre Dame Academy Elementary School, on the site. Initially, the school had only three grades; however, the following September more sisters joined the faculty and the school grew to have a Grade 1-6 configuration. In September 1949, the high school opened. Exterior of the Ferdinand R. Bain southern-style mansion, a two-story brick residence with 12 rooms and servants quarters, completed in 1925. Photograph dated March 10, 1939.; See photos #00068312-00068340 for complete series on La Lomita Ranch.