This project was supported in whole or in part by the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act, administered in California by the State Librarian Made accessible through a grant from the John Randolph Haynes and Dora Haynes Foundation and Photo Friends
Photograph was edited for publication purposes Authorized by War Department General Order 48 on August 24 1943, Van Nuys General Hospital opened in early 1944 to serve as both a general and debarkation hospital. It was soon renamed in honor of Brigadier General Henry Patrick Birmingham (1854-1932), Medical Corps, U.S. Army. Birmingham Veterans Administration Hospital operated until 1950 and was acquired by Los Angeles City Schools a year or two later for the token price of $1.00. In 1953, Birmingham High School opened as a 7-12 grade school. Part of the high school campus was used as an air defense missile battalion headquarters from April 1956 to November 1968. Photograph caption dated January 30, 1947 reads, "Volunteer speakers - George Hohmann (in wheel chair), paraplegic patient at Birmingham Veterans Administration hospital in Van Nuys, studies Red Cross brochure with Jack W. Gregory, left, chief of the medical rehabilitation staff, and Veterans Don Bernard and J. Anthony Hughes. Hospital patients have volunteered their services to speak for Red Cross during the 1947 fund raising campaign starting March 1."
1 photographic print :b&w ;26 x 21 cm. Photographic prints
Birmingham Veterans Administration Hospital (Los Angeles, Calif.) American Red Cross.--Los Angeles Chapter American Red Cross Veterans' hospitals--California--Van Nuys (Los Angeles) Hospitals--California--Van Nuys (Los Angeles) Wheelchairs--California--Los Angeles Paraplegics--California--Los Angeles Veterans--United States Volunteers--California--Los Angeles Men--California--Los Angeles Van Nuys (Los Angeles, Calif.) Group portraits Portrait photographs Valley Times Collection photographs