Skip to main content

Image / Mission San Gabriel Arcangel, garden view

Have a question about this item?

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
Mission San Gabriel Arcangel, garden view
Alternative Title
Works Progress Administration Photo Collection
Date Created and/or Issued
1936
Publication Information
Federal Writers' Project
Contributing Institution
Los Angeles Public Library
Collection
Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection
Rights Information
Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Description
Mission San Gabriel Arcangel, also known as the San Gabriel Mission, is a former Roman Catholic mission and current historic landmark; it was the fourth of 21 California missions to be founded. The mission was designed by Father Antonio Cruzado and is often referred to as the "Godmother of the Pueblo of Los Angeles". Padres Pedro Benito Cambon and Angel Fernandes de la Somera founded the settlement on September 8, 1771. The mission was built from 1791 to 1805 out of cut stone, brick, and mortar, and is the oldest structure of its kind south of Monterey, Ca. In the early mission era, it came to be known as the "Pride of the Missions" and became the wealthiest of all the early missions due to its large production of crops and trading of cattle hides and wine. On October 1, 1987 the Whittier Narrows Earthquake heavily damaged the mission, but it was fully restored between 1987 and 1993. Today, San Gabriel possesses perhaps the finest collection of mission relics in existence. It has a hammered copper baptismal font that was the gift of King Carlos III of Spain in 1771, and six priceless altar statues that were brought around the Horn from Spain in 1791. Mission San Gabriel Arcangel was added in 1971 as a National Historic Landmark, building #71000158. It is also a California Historical Landmark, No. 158. Two addresses are given for the mission: 428 South Mission Drive, and 537 West Mission Drive
View of the gardens inside Mission San Gabriel Arcangel, which include native and nonnative flowers, vines, plants, bushes, and trees. June 1, 1936.
Type
Image
Format
1 photograph :b&w
Photographic prints
Identifier
00067663
Works Progress Administration Collection
WPA 24 4x5
CARL0000072904
http://173.196.26.125/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/2637
Subject
Mission San Gabriel Arcangel (San Gabriel, Calif.)
Missions, Spanish--California--San Gabriel
Church buildings--California--San Gabriel
Gardens--California--San Gabriel
Works Progress Administration Collection photographs
San Gabriel (Calif.)
Cruzado, Antonio

Explore related content on Calisphere: