The Boyle Heights Branch was the fourth of six Los Angeles branch libraries constructed between 1913 and 1916 with a $210,000 Carnegie grant for all of the branches. W.J. Dodd designed this branch in the Classical Revival style. The Boyle Heights branch began with library groups established in 1891, which later became the Boyle Heights Library Association in 1899. During the 1920's the library began to focus on a wide variety of ethnic literature for its changing population of constituents. In the late 1920's the name of the building was changed to Benjamin Franklin branch to conform with the Board of Library Commissioners' naming policy. The building was demolished in 1974. Interior view of the Adult Reading Room at Benjamin Franklin Branch Library, located at 2200 East 1st Street.
Los Angeles Public Library.--Benjamin Franklin Branch Branch libraries--California--Boyle Heights (Los Angeles) Carnegie libraries--California--Los Angeles Books--California--Los Angeles Library users--California--Los Angeles Reading rooms--California--Los Angeles Interiors--California--Boyle Heights (Los Angeles) Neoclassicism (Architecture)--California--Boyle Heights (Los Angeles) Lost architecture--California--Boyle Heights (Los Angeles) Boyle Heights (Los Angeles, Calif.)