Skip to main content

Image / Long Beach shoreline

Have a question about this item?

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
Long Beach shoreline
Alternative Title
Los Angeles Photographers Photo Collection;
Creator
Schultheis, Herman
Contributor
Made accessible through a grant from the John Randolph Haynes and Dora Haynes Foundation
Date Created and/or Issued
Circa 1937
Contributing Institution
Los Angeles Public Library
Collection
Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection
Rights Information
Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Description
Title supplied by cataloger.; Herman J. Schultheis was born in Aachen, Germany in 1900, and immigrated to the United States in the mid-1920s after obtaining a Ph.D. in mechanical and electrical engineering. He married Ethel Wisloh in 1936, and the pair moved to Los Angeles the following year. He worked in the film industry from the late 1930s to the mid-1940s, most notably on the animated features "Fantasia" and "Pinocchio." His detailed notebook, documenting the special effects for "Fantasia," is the subject of a 14-minute short-subject included on the film's DVD. In 1949, he started employment with Librascope as a patent engineer. Schultheis was an avid amateur photographer who traveled the world with his cameras. It was on one of these photographic exhibitions in 1955 that he disappeared in the jungles of Guatemala. His remains were discovered 18 months later. The digitized portion of this collection represents the images Schultheis took of Los Angeles and its surrounding communities after he relocated to the area in 1937.
The Pike amusement park, located south of Ocean Blvd. in Long Beach, existed as a popular entertainment destination from 1902 until 1979. The Cyclone Racer, a dual-track (two trains could run at the same time), racing wooden roller coaster was created by Fred Church and built in 1930 by Harry Traver. In the 1950s, The Pike underwent a facelift and was renamed "Nu-Pike". It ran until September 1968.
Shoreline of Long Beach on an overcast day highlights the Municipal Auditorium (demolished 1975), left, and The Pike amusement park, center, both jutting into the ocean. Part of the Rainbow Pier that encircles the auditorium is visible. To the right of The Pike's roller coaster is the tall tower of the Breakers Hotel. The Robinson Hotel Apartments in front of the auditorium has a covered entrance and a large yard. The parking spaces on the street in front of The Robinson are full.
Type
Image
Format
1 photographic print :b&w ;11 x 15 cm.
Photographic prints
Identifier
00081576
Herman J Schultheis Collection; Los Angeles Photographers Collection;
N-005-340.4 8x10
CARL0000081181
http://173.196.26.125/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/36018
Subject
Municipal Auditorium (Long Beach, Calif.)
Breakers Hotel (Long Beach, Calif.)
Commercial buildings--California--Long Beach
Auditoriums--California--Long Beach
Hotels--California--Long Beach
Amusement parks--California--Long Beach
Lost architecture--California--Long Beach
Long Beach (Calif.)
Pike, The (Long Beach, Calif. : Amusement park)
Pacific Ocean
Panoramic views
Schultheis Collection photographs
Time Period
1931-1940

Explore related content on Calisphere: