Title supplied by cataloger. La Casa de Don Vicente Lugo located on the east side of the El Pueblo Plaza at North Los Angeles Street and Sunset Boulevard. Built in 1839 by Vicente Lugo, it was one of the few two-story homes in Los Angeles at the time. It was donated in 1867 to St. Vincent's College (which later became Loyola University), the first college in Southern California; but later became known as the Washington Hotel, and later, the Pekin Curio Store. Unfortunately, the structure was so altered, that it does not resemble an adobe. It was demolished in the 1950s to make way for the freeway. It was designated California State Historic Landmark #301, but it is unknown if the marker still exists. The Lugo family was one of the founding families and first settlers of Los Angeles in 1781. Exterior front view of the two-story Vicente Lugo adobe house, seen with hipped roof and dormer windows. The home is located at 518-520 North Los Angeles Street and Sunset Boulevard, and faces the Plaza. When this photograph was taken, the adobe was home to Leeching Hung & Co., with adjacent buildings flanking it on either side; horse-drawn carriages are parked on the unpaved road in front of the buildings.
1 photographic print :b&w ;21 x 26 cm. Photographic prints
Lugo House (Los Angeles, Calif.) Horse-drawn vehicles--California--Los Angeles Dirt roads--California--Los Angeles Adobe houses--California--Los Angeles Stores & shops--California--Los Angeles Dwellings--California--Los Angeles Streets--California--Los Angeles Lugo, Vicente Downtown Los Angeles (Los Angeles, Calif.)