Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
This photo of New Way Missionary Baptist Church was taken from across the street along Compton Ave. It shows a cream-color building with a stone fac¸ade, brown roof and green trim. A marquee reads "New Way M.B.C." and lists "Rev. J. Lee" as the current pastor, along with the order of service with days and times listed. This church began as Grant Chapel AME Church in 1906. In 1923, Grant Chapel AME membership increased to several hundred and a larger property was purchased and a new building was erected; its members quickly followed. At that time, the location (pictured) became Triumph the Church & Kingdom of God in Christ. That membership also increased so much that a new building was erected, and those members also followed their church. It is unclear as to when the current church, New Way Missionary Baptist Church, established itself in this location. It is also unclear if the church is still in operation; a black security fence surrounds the entire church and the windows appear to be boarded up. Photo dated: April 2007.
1 photograph :col. Photographic prints
00071827 Jeff Allen Houses of Worship Collection; Los Angeles Photographers Collection; GPC_b84_f4_i12 CARL0000074971 http://126.96.36.199/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/120862
New Way Missionary Baptist Church (Los Angeles, Calif.) Baptist church buildings--California--Los Angeles Church buildings--California--Los Angeles Marquees--California--Los Angeles Fences--California--Los Angeles Los Angeles Photographers Collection photographs Jeff Allen Houses of Worship Collection photographs