Caption: "Jones's [sic] Beach Tower, New York. Aug. 26 1934." The large tower in the center of this photograph was a 188-foot-tall water tower in Jones Beach, built in 1930 in imitation of the Italianate-style bell tower of St. Mark's Basilica in Venice, Italy. The Long Island State Park Commission began to develop what is now the Jones Beach area for a park in the 1920s, dredging enough sand to connect several of the barrier islands south of Long Island and raising the elevation of the islands by fourteen feet to create one large park. It opened to the public in 1929. It is now a state park, with an estimated six million visitors each year.