Skip to main content

Image / San Fernando Rey de Espan~a Mission Convento

Have a question about this item?

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
San Fernando Rey de Espan~a Mission Convento
Alternative Title
Los Angeles Herald Examiner Photo Collection
Creator
Goodenow, Guy
Date Created and/or Issued
1973
Contributing Institution
Los Angeles Public Library
Collection
Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection
Rights Information
Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Description
Title supplied by cataloger.
Founded by father Fermi´n Lasue´n on September 8, 1797 in Mission Hills, Mission San Fernando Rey de Espan~a (originally La Misio~n del Sen~or Fernando, Rey de Espan~a) is located on the former settlement of Encino Rancho. It was the seventeenth mission built in Alto California. It was built in a quadrangle, similar to other missions, in which the church makes up one corner. The Convento stands apart from the quadrangle; it took 13 years to construct and was completed in 1822. Most noted for its 21 Roman arches, it is the largest two-story adobe structure in California. Now, the second floor is used for storage. The Convento Building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1988 - Building #88002147. And in 1999, the entire Mission San Fernando Rey de Espan~a was added to the National Register of Historic Places as well - Building #71001076. It has also been dedicated as California Historic Landmark #157. It continues to serve as a parish church.
A man can be seen walking along one side of the Convento Building, also known as the "Long Building", and adjacent smaller structures. The Convento Building is a large two-story building measuring approximately 243 feet long and 50 feet wide, and was built in stages between 1808 and 1822. It has a broad portico extending the whole length of the building, four-foot-thick adobe walls, visible rafters, and a roof of burnt tile. The long portico, sometimes referred to as the colonnade, has 21 Roman arches along the front of the building (not visible from this angle) and is the most recognized image of the Mission. The Convento Building was, and still is, the largest adobe structure in California and is also the largest original building in California's missions. It was damaged in the 1971 earthquake and has just re-opened. Photograph dated July 7, 1973.
Type
Image
Format
1 photographic print :b&w ;17 x 24 cm. on sheet 21 x 26 cm.
Photographic prints
Identifier
00096186
Herald Examiner Collection
HE box 100.
CARL0005068453
http://173.196.26.125/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/33573
Subject
San Fernando, Rey de Espan~a (Mission : San Fernando, Calif.)
Missions, Spanish--California--Los Angeles
Adobe churches--California--Los Angeles
Catholic churches--California--Los Angeles
California Historical Landmarks
Mission Hills (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Los Angeles Herald-Examiner photographs
Herald-Examiner Collection photographs

Explore related content on Calisphere: