Title supplied by cataloger. Central Library, located at 630 W. 5th Street in downtown Los Angeles, was designed by architects Bertram G. Goodhue and Carlton M. Winslow. Constructed between 1922-1926, it was designed to mimic the architecture of ancient Egypt, complete with a tiled mosaic pyramid tower and many beautiful murals throughout. Tragic fires in 1986 destroyed part of the building along with 20 percent of the library's collection, prompting a closure for 6 years while restoration took place. The renovation was completed in 1993, and the library reopened on October 3, 1993. The Los Angeles Public Library is the third largest public library in the United States in terms of books and periodical holdings, boasting over 6 million volumes. It was added to the National Register of Historical Places in 1970 - Building #70000136. View 66: The Los Angeles Public Library is shown during the construction phase in September 1925. This photo was taken from the corner of 5th and Flower streets and shows the northwest corner of the building. The structure is entirely covered with scaffolding, and the tower has been completed at the top. Several cars are parked in a lot to the right of the library, and a mesh of trolley lines is visible overhead along 5th Street. Photograph dated: September 30, 1925.
1 photographic print :b&w ;18 x 24 cm. on sheet 21 x 26 cm. Photographic prints
Central Library (Los Angeles, Calif.) Los Angeles Public Library Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monuments Building construction--California--Los Angeles Library buildings--California--Los Angeles Building sites--California--Los Angeles Automobiles--California--Los Angeles Libraries--California--Los Angeles Scaffolding Goodhue, Bertram Grosvenor,1869-1924 Winslow, Carleton M.,1919- Downtown Los Angeles (Los Angeles, Calif.)