Title supplied by cataloger. Originally designed by Alfred F. Rosenheim and opened in 1908, this Beaux Arts building was enlarged by Aleck Curlett in 1929 to accomodate more merchandise. The store was acquired from A. Hamburger & Sons Co. by David May in 1923 and renamed the May Company. More recently the store has been known as the Broadway Trade Center. Photograph caption dated June 29, 1986 reads, "Battlefield runs from the floor of a May Co. store to the floor of the New York Stock Exchange." This is the May Co. at 800 S. Hill Street, which closed on January 31, 1986.
1 photographic print :b&w ;36 x 29 cm. Photographic prints
May Company California Department stores--California--Los Angeles Eclecticism in architecture--California--Los Angeles Downtown Los Angeles (Los Angeles, Calif.) Los Angeles Herald-Examiner photographs Herald-Examiner Collection photographs Rosenheim, Alfred F.(Alfred Faist),1859-1943 Curlett, Aleck