Please contact the contributing institution for more information regarding the copyright status of this object.
Displayed in 1978 as part of the "19th Century San Jose Portraits" exhibit at the Pacific Hotel, History Park, with the following label: A native of Duchess County, New York, Calvin Martin was a grain and lumber trader in Indiana in 1848 when he began the overland journey west to Fort Hall and down to Sacramento, arriving in July, 1849. Martin spent the summer mining at Smith Bar on the American River before moving on to Mission San Jose where he began a lucrative cattle trading enterprise. In 1850 Martin entered into a partnershp with William Aikinhead and opened one of San Jose's first livery stables near the California Theater on San Fernando Street. Later he opened a larger stable on Santa Clara Street. Mr. Martin also owned the Martin Block and the St. Francis Block, two of the city's finest business properties, an a 470-acre ranch. Frances Martin was born Frances Leyba in Sonora, Mexico. She and Calvin Martin were married in 1853 and had thirteen children.
Oil on Canvas
Pioneers--California (LCSH) Gold miners Gold rushes Livery--California--San Jose Stables Nineteenth century (LCSH) Portrait paintings Men Martin, Calvin