Beach access at Paseo Del Mar and S. Meyler Street. The tip seen in the background is the site of the old Point Fermin Lighthouse, the State's only surviving 19th century lighthouse. The structure stands 30 feet tall and was built in 1874 at Point Fermin to guide mariners. The Lighthouse has a brick foundation and a wood frame, which was built with lumber from the California Redwoods. In 1941 the light was extinguished and the lantern room and gallery were removed and replaced by a lookout shack that remained for the next 30 years. Point Fermin Lighthouse was saved from demolition in 1972 and the light was added to the National Register of Historic Places. It was refurbished in 1974, and a new lantern room and gallery were added. Photograph dated November 2000.
1 photographic print :b&w ;29 x 36 cm. Photographic prints
Point Fermin Lighthouse (Calif.) Lighthouses--California--Los Angeles Beaches--California--San Pedro (Los Angeles) Coasts--California, Southern Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monuments San Pedro (Los Angeles, Calif.) Palos Verdes Peninsula (Calif.) Pacific Ocean Point Fermin (Calif.) Los Angeles Neighborhoods Collection photographs