Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
The stadium in Exposition Park was designed by architects John and Donald Parkinson and built in 1921-1923 with a construction cost of $955,000. When the Coliseum opened on May 1, 1923, it was already the largest stadium in Los Angeles with a capacity of 76,000. It was expanded in 1932 to 101,574. The Coliseum has hosted two Summer Olympics games, one in 1932 and the other in 1984, and was also the site of John F. Kennedy's memorable acceptance speech at the 1960 Democratic National Convention. It is home to the University of Southern California Trojans football team, and is located at 3911 South Figueroa Street. View of an empty Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum on May 5, 1939.
1 photograph :b&w Photographic prints
00066189 Works Progress Administration Collection WPA B-4033 4x5 CARL0000070908 http://188.8.131.52/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/2030
Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum (Los Angeles, Calif.) Stadiums--California--Los Angeles Works Progress Administration Collection photographs Parkinson, John,1861-1935 Parkinson, Donald B.(Donald Berthold),1895-1945