This project was supported in whole or in part by the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act, administered in California by the State Librarian Made accessible through a grant from the John Randolph Haynes and Dora Haynes Foundation and Photo Friends
This Art Deco style movie theater was located at 9404 Wilshire Boulevard in Beverly Hills. It was designed by B. Marcus Priteca and opened in 1931. It was demolished in 1988 by banker and real estate developer Charles Keating the same day conservation groups were testifying at a hearing to try and preserve the building. Keating went to prison after the savings and loan scandal and never built on the property. It was replaced with a parking lot. Pictured is the exterior of the Warner Brothers Beverly Hills Theater, 9404 Wilshire Boulevard. The bright neon marquee reads "Cecil B. Demille's The Ten Commandments." Photograph dated January 21, 1957.