This image may be protected by Copyright Law (Title 17 U.S.C.). Copyright restrictions applying to the reproduction and use of this image are available from the Sacramento Public Library.
A circa 1850 sketch of St. Rose of Lima Church located on seventh and K street, it was Sacramento’s first Catholic Church until 1887 when construction of Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament began. The land the church was built on was donated by Peter Burnett. The original church, built out of wood, burned down in a fire during 1852, it was rebuilt only to be burned in a fire during 1854. The third iteration of the church was built was built out of brick, it was dedicated in 1856 but was not completed until 1861. However during the 1861 floods, the foundation of the church was damaged the foundation causing the building to become unsafe.