Title supplied by cataloger. Gilbert Stanley Underwood designed the Post Office Terminal Annex, built in 1938, in the California Mission style; the supervising engineer was Neal A. Melick. The cupolas of the Terminal Annex are exact replicas of those of the Basilica of Guadalupe in Mexico City. This building, which provided 400,000 square feet of floor space, served as the main mail distribution center from 1938 until 1994, where some 1700 Post Office employees handled over four million pieces of incoming and outgoing mail for the Metropolitan Los Angeles area daily. Although no longer used as a post office, it is used occasionally as a filming site. The Post Office Terminal Annex, also known as Los Angeles Terminal Annex Post Office, was added to the National Register of Historic Places - Building #85000131, on Jan. 11, 1985. View of the grand opening ceremonies of the Post Office Terminal Annex that took place on May 27, 1940. The Annex is located at 900 N. Alameda Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012. Photograph dated 1940.
1 negative : safety ; 25 x 20 cm. Photographic safety negatives
United States Post Office Terminal Annex (Los Angeles, Calif.) United States Postal Service Post office stations and branches Post office buildings Postal service--Employees Government facilities Government employees--United States Historic buildings Historic sites Architecture--United States--Spanish influences Armed Forces--Officers Military uniforms Uniforms Floral arrangements Light fixtures Flagpoles Flags Audiences Men Los Angeles (Calif.) Underwood, Gilbert Stanley Melick, Neal A