Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Title supplied by cataloger. Founded by father Fermi´n Lasue´n on September 8, 1797 in Mission Hills, Mission San Fernando Rey de Espan~a (originally La Misio´n del Sen~or Fernando, Rey de Espan~a) is located on the former settlement of Encino Rancho. It was the seventeenth mission built in Alto California. It was built in a quadrangle, similar to other missions, in which the church makes up one corner. In 1804, nearly 1,000 Indians lived at the mission and had learned the important trades, which included blacksmithing, farming, ranching, carpentry, weaving, leathermaking brick making, soap making and wine making. There are over 2,000 people buried in the cemetery at the mission, most of them Indians. Photograph shows the side entrance to the San Fernando Mission chapel and adjacent Indian cemetery. The unusual white marble tombstone on the left is that of Maria Espi´ritu Chirjulla Leonis (1836-1906). Maria Espi´ritu was a Chumash Indian princess, daughter of the former mission Indian Chief Oden, and was married to Miguel Leonis. Mission San Fernando Rey de Espan~a is located at 15151 San Fernando Mission Boulevard.
1 photographic print :b&w ;21 x 26 cm. Photographic prints
00081884 Security Pacific National Bank Collection Missions-San Fernando Rey de Espan~a.; A-003-476 4x5 CARL0000081310 http://220.127.116.11/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/112304
San Fernando, Rey de Espan~a (Mission : San Fernando, Calif.) Sepulchral monuments--California--Los Angeles Missions, Spanish--California--Los Angeles Chumash Indians--California--Los Angeles Cemeteries--California--Mission Hills (Los Angeles) Crosses--California--Los Angeles Mission Hills (Los Angeles, Calif.)