Materials in the Department of Archives and Special Collections may be subject to copyright. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, Loyola Marymount University does not claim ownership of the copyright of any materials in its collections. Please refer to: http://library.lmu.edu/generalinformation/departments/digitallibraryprogram/copyrightandreproductionpolicy/
Northeast corner of Central Plaza; Tuey Far Low restaurant; Ginling Gifts; brick patio and benches; sign on awning of Ginling Gifts reads:"Chinaware" partial view of restaurant to right of Ginling Gifts. When the original Chinatown was demolished to make way for Union Terminal, two projects replaced it. One, China City, was the brainchild of Christine Sterling, founder of Olvera Street. She promoted the recreation of an old-style walled Chinese street that would help relocate displaced Chinese shops while serving as an exotic tourist destination, complete with rickshaw rides. Filmmaker Cecil B. De Mille donated settings, costumes and property from the 1937 film, The Good Earth. Bounded by Ord, N. Spring, Macy, and North Main, China City opened in June, 1938. Much of the original was destroyed by fire. Together with New Chinatown, the China City area ultimately became part of the larger neighborhood of Chinatown. New Chinatown has come to be known as Old Chinatown Plaza. Tuey Far Low, first located in old Chinatown on Alameda and Marchessault, was the site of a fundraising banquet in the early 1900s in support of Sun Yat-Sen's fight for a Chinese republic. On April 22nd, 1937, Peter Soo Hoo, Herbert Lapham and others met there to form a corporation to build New Chinatown. Tuey Far Low reopened on Sun Mun Way in the Central Plaza in 1938 On back:"Art and Gift shops. Herb and spice shops. Oriental nightclubs and restaurants comprise the buildings of Chinatown, following the traditional style of Oriental architecture." Publisher's serial number: P18265 Printed using the Plastichrome process by Colourpicture, Boston, Mass.