Title supplied by cataloger. Originally designed by Alfred F. Rosenheim and opened in 1908, this Beaux Arts building was enlarged by Aleck Curlett in 1929 to accomodate more merchandise. The store was acquired from A. Hamburger & Sons Co. by David May in 1923 and renamed the May Company. The store closed on January 31, 1986 and more recently has been known as the Broadway Trade Center. Photograph caption dated January 31, 1986 reads, "Workman is engulfed by emptiness on second floor of May Co., once filed with merchandise."
1 photographic print :b&w ;29 x 36 cm. Photographic prints
May Company California Department stores--California--Los Angeles Eclecticism in architecture--California--Los Angeles Downtown Los Angeles (Los Angeles, Calif.) Los Angeles Herald-Examiner photographs Herald-Examiner Collection photographs Rosenheim, Alfred F.(Alfred Faist),1859-1943 Curlett, Aleck