Skip to main content

Image / Palms frame Convento Building, San Fernando Rey de Espan~a Mission

Have a question about this item?

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
Palms frame Convento Building, San Fernando Rey de Espan~a Mission
Alternative Title
Security Pacific National Bank Photo Collection
Date Created and/or Issued
1890
Contributing Institution
Los Angeles Public Library
Collection
Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection
Rights Information
Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Description
Title supplied by cataloger.
Founded by father Fermi´n Lasue´n on September 8, 1797 in Mission Hills, Mission San Fernando Rey de Espan~a (originally La Misio´n del Sen~or Fernando, Rey de Espan~a) is located on the former settlement of Encino Rancho. It was the seventeenth mission built in Alto California. It was built in a quadrangle, similar to other missions, in which the church makes up one corner. The Convento stands apart from the quadrangle; it took 13 years to construct and was completed in 1822. Most noted for its 21 Roman arches, it is the largest two-story adobe structure in California. The Convento Building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1988 - Building #88002147. And in 1999, the entire Mission San Fernando Rey de Espan~a was added to the National Register of Historic Places as well - Building #71001076. It has also been dedicated as California Historic Landmark #157. It continues to serve as a parish church.
View of the Convento Building, also known as the "Long Building" and the palm and olive trees that were planted by the padres. Photograph also shows four people dressed in dark clothing, standing at the base of the left palm. The Convento Building is a large two-story building measuring approximately 243 feet long and 50 feet wide, and was built in stages between 1808 and 1822. It has a broad portico extending the whole length of the building, four-foot-thick adobe walls, visible rafters, and a roof of burnt tile. The long portico, sometimes referred to as the colonnade, has 21 Roman arches along the front of the building and is the most recognized image of the Mission. The Convento Building was, and still is, the largest adobe structure in California and is also the largest original building in California's missions.
Type
Image
Format
1 photographic print :b&w ;24 x 18 cm. on board 24 x 18 cm.
Photographic prints
Identifier
00081925
Security Pacific National Bank Collection
Missions-San Fernando Rey de Espan~a.
CARL0000081422
http://173.196.26.125/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/112408
Subject
San Fernando, Rey de Espan~a (Mission : San Fernando, Calif.)
Missions, Spanish--California--Los Angeles
Adobe churches--California--Mission Hills (Los Angeles)
Arches--California--Mission Hills (Los Angeles)
Trees--California--Mission Hills (Los Angeles)
Mission Hills (Los Angeles, Calif.)

Explore related content on Calisphere: