Skip to main content

Image / Bullfight, El Toreo de Tijuana

Have a question about this item?

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
Bullfight, El Toreo de Tijuana
Alternative Title
Los Angeles Photographers Photo Collection;
Creator
Schultheis, Herman
Contributor
Made accessible through a grant from the John Randolph Haynes and Dora Haynes Foundation
Date Created and/or Issued
Circa 193-
Contributing Institution
Los Angeles Public Library
Collection
Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection
Rights Information
Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Description
Title supplied by cataloger.; Herman J. Schultheis was born in Aachen, Germany in 1900, and immigrated to the United States in the mid-1920s after obtaining a Ph.D. in mechanical and electrical engineering. He married Ethel Wisloh in 1936, and the pair moved to Los Angeles the following year. He worked in the film industry from the late 1930s to the mid-1940s, most notably on the animated features "Fantasia" and "Pinocchio." His detailed notebook, documenting the special effects for "Fantasia," is the subject of a 14-minute short-subject included on the film's DVD. In 1949, he started employment with Librascope as a patent engineer. Schultheis was an avid amateur photographer who traveled the world with his cameras. It was on one of these photographic exhibitions in 1955 that he disappeared in the jungles of Guatemala. His remains were discovered 18 months later. The digitized portion of this collection represents the images Schultheis took of Los Angeles and its surrounding communities after he relocated to the area in 1937.
The very first bullring in Tijuana, El Toreo de Tijuana, was a wooden structure that could accommodate 2,000 spectators and was built in 1904 by Sevillan banderillero Antonio Gonzalez Rubio and Mexicali merchant Don Jose R. Alvarez, in the square block bordering 3rd and 4th streets, and Avenida Revolucion and Avenida Madero. In May 1911 the plaza burned to the ground and was subsequently replaced by a new and slightly larger plaza with a seating capacity of 2,500; it was officially inaugurated as Plaza El Toreo de Tijuana on July 3, 1938. In 1957, another fire occurred and the plaza was rebuilt using metal beams to replace the old wooden ones. It was torn down in 2004.
There are no toreros nor banderilleros (bullfighters) or picadores (lancers on horseback) visible in this shot, but hoards of spectators fill the arena almost to capacity, as they enjoy the day's "corrida" below.
Type
Image
Format
1 photographic print :b&w ;14 x 11 cm.
Photographic prints
Identifier
00102435
Herman J Schultheis Collection; Los Angeles Photographers Collection;
N-009-739 8x10
CARL0005147564
http://173.196.26.125/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/37571
Subject
El Toreo de Tijuana (Tijuana, Baja California)
Spectators--Mexico--Tijuana (Baja California)
Bullfights--Mexico--Tijuana (Baja California)
Bull rings--Mexico--Tijuana (Baja California)
Tijuana (Baja California, Mexico)
Schultheis Collection photographs

Explore related content on Calisphere: