Title supplied by cataloger. Central Library, located at 630 W. 5th Street in downtown Los Angeles, was designed by architects Bertram G. Goodhue and Carlton M. Winslow. Constructed between 1922-1926, it was designed to mimic the architecture of ancient Egypt, complete with a tiled mosaic pyramid tower and many beautiful murals throughout. Tragic fires in 1986 destroyed part of the building along with 20 percent of the library's collection, prompting a closure for 6 years while restoration took place. The renovation was completed in 1993, and the library reopened on October 3, 1993. The Los Angeles Public Library is the third largest public library in the United States in terms of books and periodical holdings, boasting over 6 million volumes. It was added to the National Register of Historical Places in 1970 - Building #70000136. Three women are shown at the Gaylord Bros. exhibit table which is displaying the company's recently unveiled Book Charger, an automated method for libraries to check out materials to patrons. This booth was one of many that were set up at the Los Angeles Public Library's Central Library as part of the 1930 American Library Association convention.
1 photographic print :b&w ;11 x 14 cm. on sheet 21 x 26 cm. Photographic prints
Central Library (Los Angeles, Calif.) Los Angeles Public Library Gaylord (Firm) American Library Association Libraries Exhibit booths Exhibitions Conventions Women Goodhue, Bertram Grosvenor,1869-1924 Winslow, Carlton M