This image may be protected by Copyright Law (Title 17 U.S.C.). Copyright restrictions applying to the reproduction and use of this image are available from the Sacramento Public Library.
This circa 1900 photograph reveals Folsom’s exercise yard. Inmates are involved in some type of physical activity. The earliest proponent of recreation at Folsom was Warden Charles Aull. Starting in 1894, he organized baseball teams with games being played on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays. In the upper, left-hand corner of the frame are the administrative building, West Gate and western end of the main cellblock. To the right of that is the prison power station. The top section of Tower 6 can also be seen. In the far background, the west bank of the American River is visible as, is a lifting derrick for the lower yard quarry. The photograph was taken from the original Officers and Guards Building.