Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Early photo of the Church of Angels on Avenue 64 in Pasadena. The church is faced in sandstone mined from San Fernando Valley quarries and the interior walls are of red pressed brick (see right). The redwood ceiling nicely complements a stained glass window which depicts the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Modeled after Holmby St. Mary's Church near Dorky, Surrey, England, the church was designed by English architect Arthur Edmund Street and built by local architect Ernest Coxhead. The cornerstone was laid on April 20, 1889. Until 1899 this area of Pasadena was known as Garvanza.
1 photograph :b&w Photographic prints
00019788 Security Pacific National Bank Collection Pasadena-Churches-Church of the Angels.; A-000-666 4x5 CARL0000024953 http://126.96.36.199/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/89456
Church of the Angels (Pasadena, Calif.) Church buildings--California--Pasadena Architecture--California--Pasadena--English influences Towers--California--Pasadena Coxhead, Ernest A.,1863-1933 Pasadena (Calif.) Garvanza (Calif.)